Thursday, September 20, 2007

And The Hits Just Keep On Comming!

NYPD veteran says cops beat, Tasered teen son at barbecue



Ex-NYPD Lt. Alexander Lombard (l.) and Mita Mingues-Lombard with son Alexander 3rd, who shows alleged Taser marks.

Ex-NYPD Lt. Alexander Lombard (l.) and Mita Mingues-Lombard with son Alexander 3rd, who shows alleged Taser marks.


A retired 20-YEAR veteran of the NYPD said yesterday that cops used excessive force against his son when they zapped him four times with a Taser, hit him 15 times with a nightstick and put him in a choke hold.

Retired Lt. Alexander Lombard said his son, Alexander Lombard 3rd, 17, was beaten by cops after they arrived at a "community sponsored" barbecue at 126th St. and Park Ave. last month.

"He's truly dismayed by the whole thing," Lombard said, standing next to his son in front of Police Headquarters in lower Manhattan. "He grew up with cops. He was raised to trust cops."

But Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne said in a statement that a police sergeant "employed a Taser against the suspect's ankle" to subdue him after responding to a large disturbance at about 3:30 a.m.

"The sergeant documented the use of the Taser, as required," the statement reads. "The suspect refused medical treatment, was issued a summons and released."

Noel Leader, co-founder of the advocacy group 100 Blacks in Law Enforcement Who Care, called on Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly to launch an "immediate investigation."

Leader, who went with the father and son to file a complaint with the Internal Affairs Bureau, pointed out that disorderly conduct was the sole charge against Lombard.

"The mere fact that he was hit with a Taser four times," Leader said, "and there's no resisting arrest charge, no criminal possession of a weapons charge - it's evident to me that this incident did not justify use of a stun gun."

tmoore@nydailynews.com

Post a Comment