Monday, November 10, 2008

Elizabeth Edwards: Back to Battle for Health Care

By Ceci Connolly
The Washington Post
Elizabeth Edwards

Elizabeth Edwards

Gerald Martineau

WASHINGTON -- Her hair has grown back, longer and thicker. She needs a hand climbing into the director's chair positioned at the front of the George Washington University auditorium. Look closely: The wedding band is missing.

"She looks a bit fragile," observes a woman in the audience on this Monday evening.

"Maybe vulnerable," says her friend.

And yet Elizabeth Edwards is here. Inside the Beltway, in front of the cameras. She once dreamed politics would carry her husband into the big white house just seven blocks away.

But she has a new focus, on her terms. There will be no mention of the scandal. No interviews allowed.

Nearly three months after former senator John Edwards acknowledged he had an affair with a campaign consultant, Elizabeth Edwards, 59, is gradually re-emerging, cautiously creating a new public persona -- not as the victimized wife, but as an expert on one of the most pressing domestic policy issues of the day: health care. An expert with an unfortunately heavy dose of firsthand experience.

"Until October 2004, the only time I ever went to the hospital was to have babies," she says, gently reminding the crowd of several hundred of her first cancer diagnosis. "You have no idea what's coming down the pike at you."

Snip

More at the News Record Web Site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi.

There is no way to contact you; there is no email posted on your blog, so I am contacting you thru the comment section of this post. Please forgive me.

I stumbled upon your comment at another blog "Trusted Advisor Associates" on the post "Why I love Accountants, the Sub-prime mortgage meltdown". I loved your post!. It is also good that you noticed that it was "gaming the System".

Well, though I am not a libertarian, I am a frequent participant on a Libertarian blog and we are studying Austrian Economic Theory.

When I said booms are caused in half by "gaming the system", they went ballistic.

The reason I am calling is that I am on the Economic Populist Forum, separate from the Libertarian blog, discussing Business Error or Gaming the System.

Your post at Why I love Accountants is so excellent and right on, I would like to ask your permission to copy your post AND Credit you with it and link it back and post it in the thread.

I would also like to invite you to participate in it. I don't think any economic theorist takes into account "gaming the system".

What say you?

I appreciate your response.

I can be contacted at wheelerplatsis@hotmail.com